Sunday, February 15, 2009

Don't Sleep Vol. 3

Alright, I've got 3 albums that tie for Don't Sleep Albums of the Week. So, in no particular order, they are: 1. Saafir - "Boxcar Sessions" 2. Various Blends - "Levitude" 3. Konceptual Dominance - "Savage Intelligence"

Let's start with Saafir, since on his album "Boxcar Sessions" he has a track "Light Sleeper" which somewhat deals with the idea of sleeping on something dope.

This album dropped in '94 and so did so many jaws when it was first heard. This dood has flow! You also might remember him from his part in Menace II Society (Harold who gets killed in the carjacking).

This album is SUPER nice. I like everything that he's dropped but this was my introduction to the skillz. If you don't know, he debuted on Casual's "Fear Itself" and soon after dropped tracks with Shock G and Digital Underground. He was Tupac's roommate when they were both dancers for D.U. You could take the lyrics on Boxcar Sessions and put'em up against anything coming out today. His skills are undeniable. My favorite track is probably "Just Riden'".

TWO. Various Blends - "Levitude". This one came out in '99. I didn't get it until a few years after it dropped (sleepin??). It's good, blunted, raw, underground, bay area hip hop. Look at the featured artists and you'll know it's official - Del the funkee homosapien, mystik journeymen, and saafir. From what I understand, Rasco of Cali Agents was an original member of this crew. I can't even imagine what that would've sounded like (damn.). This is a gooood album.


THREE. Konceptual Dominance - "Savage Intelligence" This is a really good, deep, solid-all-the-way-through album. I think Kirby Dominant (one half of the crew) is a really talented MC but I usually can't get down with his albums because he is soooo misogynistic with his rhymes. I'm not trying to hear that kind of disrespect toward women. But, you won't find that on this album. This is a very conscious album. The video below...not great - funny, but not reflective of the true mood of the album. The album seems much more serious and not lighthearted like the video. See what you think.

Don't sleep. Go find copies of these album. You might have to dig but it will be worth it.

Runner's up for the week:
1. Casual "Fear Itself". Classic. That's all I'm sayin. Another '94 album. This was one of my favorite TAPES. It's a jazzy album and the flows seem almost freestyled. The following was the video that whet my pallet before the album actually dropped.

2. Boogiemonsters "Riders of the Storm". Aside for the video for "Recognized Thresholds of Negative Stress", I don't remember this album getting that much attention. Of course, this was back in '94 so my memory's a bit dodgy. It's got a nice vibe to it. I still throw it on like it came out this year! Don't Sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment