Saturday, February 7, 2009

tripping b/w "TIME"

I'm looking at my son today. I'm really looking at him and I'm thinking about his age and rate of growth. As I'm watching, I connect with a look directly at his face and into his eyes at the same time. I kind of mentally take a snapshot. I find myself aware of the fact that I'm purposefully taking an imaginary picture of what I'm seeing. Why? Because I know that our cells in our body regenerate every 5-9 years (debatable, most agree with a number closer to 7). So the face that I was looking at is the face of the child that I know today but not the same face that I'll be looking at 5-9 years from now. Even though it'll be the same child. What?? I know, I'm tripping. But check it out, I look at him everyday and my eyes send the image of him into my brain and my mind says, "That's my kid. That's who I love. That's my purpose." But once those cells complete their cycle of regeneration he will, in essence, be a completely new person. So, I will never look at him again like I saw him today. Because every time I see him and take mental stills of him my mind is telling me, "THAT's my son." That mental photo gallery now becomes 'That was him when...' because the image I see today - THAT's my purpose. What a trip. So, I guess what I mean is...I need to remember to always live in the now and prepare him for the future. Because I can get lost remembering him like he was. I guess that's what cameras are for? It's all about time and time is a trip. Here's a poem about time that I wrote about 2 years before my son came to us:

TIME

Time...it's a curious thing
I mean, when I wanna watch
I can look it in the face
even though it shows no emotion.
It continues coastin'
Hands spread wide,
but never hinting at open arms-charms
that we'd like to see
Because IT IS stubborn
and at times,
even time alarms my sense of now
like how
hours mother minutes
and minutes make seconds
at alarming rates
Just Can't Wait!
So in this day and age,
we've broken them down to nano
all of a sudden our old analog friend has gone
digital,
atomic,
And our time is more minimal.
Whimsical years
continue to flow
like the physical tears
of history's most pivotal periods
"Remember the time?"
remember the time that's there,
and reminds us that we're late.
reminds us that we're early.
reminds us that we're due to
have children
9 months from the time it took to spend some time
together.
but even though time is always with us
never leaving,
coming,
or going...
my time for that hasn't come yet
and since my time hasn't expired -
I'm not done yet.
Once upon a time.
Once upon a time,
a great epoch gave way to a ceremonious century
and this century gave way to a decent decade
but father time wasn't having anything less than that
So a wise man spoke up and said
"The time is now"
He said,
"There's only one moment in time...
and that time is now"
huh.
Funny.
Time is a curious thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment